How To Play Bass - Learning From James Jamerson Vol 1
An 80-20 Device Method Book
Learn the Foundational Vocabulary Used By Motown's Bass Master....So That You Can Use Those Ideas To Transform Your Own Playing
Like evey language, the language of the bass guitar (for playing in songs, not solos) has its own vocabulary.
Few teachers in the bass world teach this vocabulary, or the contributions Jamerson made to the vocabulary of the electric bass. There's three ways to go about learning it
The first way is to get your hands on as many Jamerson transcriptions as you can find, plus transcribing or commissioning more so that you've got a working library to study. Analyze all of those transcriptions to see what notes Jamerson played in each bar (and how they relate to the chord). Start looking for the common pieces of vocabulary - I call them 'devices - and see how Jamerson used those devices in combination with rhythm to move through different chord progressions. You also need to look out for modifying devices and connecting devices.
My conservative estimate based on the time I've invested....this will take you 500 to 1000 hours of study.
The second way is to find a teacher who has already done this work and is willing to teach it. AND has studied topics like deliberate practice, the neuro science of learning and has created a teaching system with a proven track record (i.e. happy students!).
The third way to get started is to get this book.
I’ve distilled Jamerson's vocabulary into an easy to follow/quick to implement learning system that will teach YOU how to incorporate the foundational devices that Jamerson used in YOUR lines.
NOTE: this book isn’t about HOW to play like James Jamerson, but how to use the devices that he pioneered in his output with Motown in YOUR playing.
This book is Volume 1 of a 4 Volume Series and over the course of these 4 volumes we’re going to dive deep into the kind of lines Jamerson put together, what devices he used, what modifying devices he used. And much more.
Volume 1 lays the foundations that the later volumes build on and here's some of what you’ll learn:
- How to create flow in your bass lines using devices with approach notes built in - and the 5 different types of approach notes (Section 3)
- How to create your own bass lines - and avoid the ‘Tyranny Of Tempo’ (Section 12)
- How to use chromatic modifying devices (Section 9)
- The two simple devices that Jamerson used most (Section 2 and Section 4)
- Over 100 MP3 tracks to download and practice with (Bonus Website Version)
- The most used device in pop and rock? (Section 8)
- Creating dynamic lines using the concept of front end of the bar/back end of the bar (Section 5)
- Practicing a device from First Principles (Section 7)
- Perpetual Motion practice exercises for devices using cycle tracks (Sections 2 and 8, plus Bonus Website lessons)
- Bonus website version with majority of examples filmed at two speeds so you can see and hear how each exercise and example should sound (only available for books purchased on Amazon...but NOT Amazon Marketplace.)
- COMING MAY 13th 2023: A new bonus for students of the Learn From Jamerson Vol 1 book is a collection of Band In A Box 'Jamerson like' styles that you can use to create your own bass lines, sight reading etudes and practice exercises by entering chords and pushing a button! This will be sold separately on the website for $30...so it's highly valuable.
Start learning the foundational devices from Jamerson’s vocabulary. So you can add them to YOUR vocabulary.
Links To Amazon Stores
Click here for the book on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1919651918
Click here for the bok on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.fr: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.es: https://www.amazon.es/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.it: https://www.amazon.it/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.nl: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/1919651918
Click here for the bok on Amazon.co.pl: https://www.amazon.pl/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.se: https://www.amazon.se/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.jp: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/1919651918
Click here for the bok on Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1919651918
Click here for the book on Amazon.com.au: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/1919651918